Every year, we as a church celebrate the four weeks leading up to Christmas; we call it Advent. We light candles, we think nice thoughts, maybe say a prayer or two. But I've never felt as if I were living it, that is, really preparing my mind and my heart and my spirit for the coming of Christ. So, based on a friend's "365 Days of Kindness" Project, I am going to be live and act according to the 28 days of Advent. So, here it is. I hope you’ll feel free to join me if you are so inspired.

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Day 4: HOPE for the downtrodden


“Blessed are the poor in spirit,
    for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
    for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
    for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
    for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
    for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
    for they will see God." Matthew 5: 3-8

Today's act of HOPE did not require a lot of work. All I had to do was go down to the Union Gospel Mission in St. Paul for their Wednesday night Sing-a-Long, which what I try to do on a fairly regular basis.

If you want to see pure, raw, joyful, hope, I invite you to join me.

Every Wednesday, the musicians play, the brothers and their families and "anyone else who loves the mission" sing.

One of their favorites: "The Joy of the Lord is My Strength". Indeed. I have truly never seen a more joyful group of people.

After the singing, it is medallion time; time to celebrate milestones in recovery. The stories these guys tell is enough to humble even the most cynical among us. They have known a life few of us can even imagine. And they are so grateful to be sober, and loved, and surrounded by support. One day at a time.

It is a overwhelming display of HOPE. With Christ's love anything is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment