Every year, we as a church celebrate the four weeks leading up to Christmas; we call it Advent. We light candles, we think nice thoughts, maybe say a prayer or two. But I've never felt as if I were living it, that is, really preparing my mind and my heart and my spirit for the coming of Christ. So, based on a friend's "365 Days of Kindness" Project, I am going to be live and act according to the 28 days of Advent. So, here it is. I hope you’ll feel free to join me if you are so inspired.

Saturday, December 17, 2016

Day 21: The JOY of Christmas Cookies







“Baking and love go hand in hand, for as one bakes a tasty treat and fills the room with its sweet aroma, the true joy is to take what has been made and share it with another.”
Heather Wolf, Kipnuk Has a Birthday 


Last night my daughter came home from Sioux Falls. We are celebrating Christmas early; our little nurse needs to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The first thing she asked was, “Can we bake cookies?” It gives her JOY to bake cookies, eat cookies, and to be with her mom. So of course I said yes.

For health reasons, Christine has had to switch to a gluten free diet, and I was happy to accommodate her needs by using gluten free flour. The bag promises perfect results. Well….let’s just say they are not right. My shortbread is dry and crumbly, nearly flavorless. My son said, “They do seem a little sandy”. Indeed.

I had my daughter sample one, and she said, “Hmmm, these are pretty good!”

So, it will give me JOY to give her these dusty delicacies to take back home. It was a JOY to bake them with her. And it will give her JOY to eat them.

And although I will miss her terribly on Christmas, I can console myself with some real
Christmas cookies (complete with gluten) after she is gone.

JOY all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment