Every year, we as a church celebrate the four weeks leading up to Christmas; we call it Advent. We light candles, we think nice thoughts, maybe say a prayer or two. But I've never felt as if I were living it, that is, really preparing my mind and my heart and my spirit for the coming of Christ. So, based on a friend's "365 Days of Kindness" Project, I am going to be live and act according to the 28 days of Advent. So, here it is. I hope you’ll feel free to join me if you are so inspired.

Monday, December 19, 2016

Day 23: LOVE cooked up in a meal





“The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love for those you are cooking for.” – Sophia Loren


Well, today’s act was actually performed in the name of LOVE a few weeks ago. But it was so good, I decided I could share it today.

This act of LOVE was inspired by my church, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in St. Paul. Our church is engaged in a practice called “Advent Conspiracy”. Here is an awesome (and I mean that word in the way it was intended) video which explains the idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVqqj1v-ZBU

Basically, the video (and our Pastors) were encouraging us to spend less money, and instead give more time.

I was inspired. I thought, “What can I make that would feel like a real gift?” It suddenly came to me: meals. My daughter and my son are busy people. Christine works 12-hour days or nights, and David works 10-hour days. They tell me they are usually too exhausted to cook when they get home. So, I fired up the stove and started cooking. I decided to include my overworked sister and her teenage daughter in on the scheme. I cooked up four huge portions of their favorite meals, including beef stew, chicken wild rice soup, and chili. I divided the meals up into Tupperware containers. Each person got four separate meals. And, because we celebrated Christmas early this year, I presented these gifts to my family this weekend.

I have to say, it was an act of LOVE to do all this cooking. But the benefits to me were immeasurable. They were so happy to get four containers of Mom’s (or Sister’s) cooking.

It was cheaper than buying the latest sweater at Macy, but it involved a lot more time on my part, and truly a lot more LOVE.


It is so good to invite Christ into my heart this season by giving the gift of LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment