Every year, we as a church celebrate the four weeks leading up to Christmas; we call it Advent. We light candles, we think nice thoughts, maybe say a prayer or two. But I've never felt as if I were living it, that is, really preparing my mind and my heart and my spirit for the coming of Christ. So, based on a friend's "365 Days of Kindness" Project, I am going to be live and act according to the 28 days of Advent. So, here it is. I hope you’ll feel free to join me if you are so inspired.

Friday, December 2, 2016

Day 6: Hope for women


"If tomorrow, women woke up and decided they really like their bodies, just think how many industries would go out of business." Dr. Gail Dines


Today, at my morning workout on the treadmill, I got angry. And appalled, as in "Really? We're still doing this?"

I speak of the Victoria's Secret "Fashion Show", otherwise known as "Another opportunity for us to ogle and idealize and fantasize about women's bodies".

This is not a fashion show. In fact, it seems that this is the "unfashion show" when you consider how little fashion (i.e. clothes) these women wear.

Here's what got me really mad. Gayle King on "CBS This Morning", was actually interviewing the models! Like this is news!

I admire Gayle King's work, but, let's face it, she should be enlightened and aware about oppression and objectifying of women. And she should not be a part of the lie that says women strutting around stage deserve a television show, much less an interview.

I get that the display will be aired on CBS, so she's gotta talk it up, but really, couldn't she have just said, "I'm gonna sit this one out guys."

So, because this week's theme is HOPE, I have written a letter to Gayle. I mean a good old fashioned put-it-in-the-mailbox letter.

And because I am all about HOPE this week, I choose to hope that she will respond to me. And I hope that she will say, "You are right. What was I thinking?"

Well, that is indeed hopeful.

2 comments: