Every year, we as a church celebrate the four weeks leading up to Christmas; we call it Advent. We light candles, we think nice thoughts, maybe say a prayer or two. But I've never felt as if I were living it, that is, really preparing my mind and my heart and my spirit for the coming of Christ. So, based on a friend's "365 Days of Kindness" Project, I am going to be live and act according to the 28 days of Advent. So, here it is. I hope you’ll feel free to join me if you are so inspired.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Day 9: PEACE with Jumper Cables



"We, more than others, should carry jumper and tow cables not only in our cars, but also in our hearts, by which means we can send the needed boost or charge of encouragement or the added momentum to mortal neighbors." - Neal A. Maxwell


Today’s act of peace was handed to me at a SuperAmerica station. I was in line buying gift cards (for a future act of peace), when a Somali man walked in, clearly panicked. He said his car would not start, and he needed someone to help him start the engine. The employees pointed to a shelf; there is where he could buy jumper cables.

I couldn’t believe I had been handed this opportunity for peace/kindness. I practically jumped up and down as I asked, “Would you like to use my car?” He responded “YES”.

I pulled my car up to his, and soon he had his car running. He said, “Thank you, I have children in my car, and I am on my way to pick up another child at school.”

So I thank God for this opportunity to show kindness to this man and his children (whom I couldn’t see because of the tinted windows). To be able to extend some kindness to anyone in this situation, especially to an immigrant, who often feels less than welcome in this country, was a real gift. And I think a real opportunity to extend peace.

When we departed, he said, “Thank you, you are so kind. God bless you!” I responded, “God bless you!” I should have also said “Thank you”.

2 comments:

  1. Wish everyone was so eager to extend kindness and peace, but who knows how your act influenced those around you who noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's what so cool about this Advent challenge. Would I normally have so enthusiastically volunteered my car and my time?

      Delete